Posted in /Cooking/Drinks on Tuesday, March 28, 2017
Now you don't have to drive to Starbucks for your Tazo chai. This copy-cat recipe is a perfect match.
5 cups water
8 bags black tea
2 cinnamon sticks
1/3 cup sugar + 2 Tbsp
1/4 Tbsp ground ginger
8 whole cloves smashed
8 cardamom pods
1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
2 whole star anise pods
1/2 tsp whole black pepper (smashed)
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp vanilla
1.Add water and sugar to medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and put remaining simmering ingredients.
2. Meanwhile remove any tags and string from teabags.
3. Prepare the spices and place them in a small cheesecloth sachet and tie it off with butcher's twine.
4. The cinnamon sticks can be added directly to the saucepan.
5. Simmer for 20 minutes
6. Remove the pan from the heat and strain the concentrate through a sieve. Add the honey and vanilla and mix well.
7. Allow the mixture to cool before pouring it into an airtight jar or container. Keep in fridge for 1 week or freezer for longer time period.
8. Yield: approximately 1 liter
9. To serve 1/2 Chai and 1/2 steamed milk for a chai latte