Posted in /Cooking/Soups on Saturday, July 15, 2017
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 clove garlic, crushed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
6 cups chicken stock
500 mL (1 pint) sour cream, room temperature or equal amount of cream or milk (but you'll need to thicken the soup if you use milk)
2 teaspoons Hungarian hot paprika, for garnish
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute 5 minutes.
2. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add asparagus and saute another 4 minutes.
4. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce to simmer and cook for 30 minutes, until asparagus is very tender. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
6. Return to saucepan, stir in sour cream/cream/milk and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
7. Transfer to serving bowls. Dust with paprika and serve.