Posted in /Cooking/Soups on Saturday, July 15, 2017
This is a thick lentil soup with a hint of coconut to cool the spiciness.
1/2 large red onion, finely chopped
1/2 red chili (more than 1/2 will be a little eye watering and can mask the other amazing flavors)
thumbsize piece ginger, peeled
1 clove garlic
1 cup red lentils
1 400mL (10-ounce) can coconut milk
3 cups filtered water
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
2 pinches pink Himalayan salt
2 pinches black pepper
1 lime, zested and juiced
1 heaping teaspoon coconut oil
1. Finely chop the red onion
2. Heat the coconut oil in a heavy based saucepan.
3. Add the onion, season, cover and allow to soften for several minutes.
4. Meanwhile, mince the chili, garlic and ginger together. Add to pan, cover and cook for a few more minutes until the flavors begin to infuse your kitchen should be full of wonderful aromas by now.
5. Rinse and sort the red lentils and add to pan along with the ground coriander, paprika and cumin. Mix thoroughly and then pour in the coconut milk and water. Sprinkle in the vegetable bouillon and lightly season with some pink Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Cover, bring to the boil and then lower to a gentle simmer for forty minutes, ensuring to stir frequently.
7. Juice the lime and set aside.
8. When the lentils have softened and almost disintegrated to form a thick, creamy soup, take off the heat, pour in the lime juice, taste for seasoning and serve with a few fresh coriander leaves for garnish.
Inspired by: Food Republic