Posted in /Cooking/Soups on Saturday, July 15, 2017
This soup comes together quickly and is super savory. This makes 6 servings so it can easily feed a family.
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 large red onion, diced
1 sweet bell pepper, diced
1 teaspoon kosher salt (more to season taste later)
2 Tablespoons minced cilantro
3-5 large garlic cloves,minced
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into medium sized dices
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (if you like it spicy I would add a bit more)
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup oats (any size any type)
5 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup minced cilantro (1/4 for cooking and 1/4 for garnish)
1. Bake 1/2 of the sweet potatoes in a preheated oven of 450F for 15-20 minutes. Then set aside for garnish of your soup.
2. In a large pot, add the olive oil and sautee the onion and sweet peppers with a pinch of salt for 3 minutes until soft and the onions are slightly golden and caramelized
3. Add in the cilantro and garlic and sautee for just a minute more.
4. Add in half of the diced sweet potatoes, beans, oats and spices. Give it a quick saute then add in the stock (this might seem like a lot of stock but you will need it for the pureeing process).
5. Bring the soup to a boil and lower the heat to low. Let the soup cook for at least 15 minutes or up to 1 hour.
6. Using an immersion blender or a traditional stand blender, blend the soup until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Inspired by: Two Purple Figs