Posted in /Cooking/Desserts/Cake on Sunday, June 10, 2018
Lava cakes are one of those fancy desserts you think needs to be made by a chef at a snooty restaurant. But this is defiantly something you can impress your friends with at the next house party. My students knocked it out of the park, so you can too!
If in doubt, do not add more time to the baking of these cakes. In order for the lava to flow you need to take them out before the centers are fully cooked. Don't worry they've been in the oven long enough to kill any bacteria from the eggs.
6 ounces (170g) semi-sweet chocolate
1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter
1/4 cup (31g) all-purpose flour?
1/2 cup (60g) icing' sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
Garnish with fresh berries and chocolate syrup
1. Spray each ramekin with nonstick cooking spray?and dust with cocoa powder. This ensures the cakes will seamlessly come out of the ramekins when inverted onto a plate in step 7. Do not use a muffin pan, it is too difficult to get the cakes out and transfer them to individual plates without making a giant mess.
2. Preheat oven to 425F (218C).
3. Coarsely chop the chocolate. Place butter into a medium heat-proof bowl, then add chopped chocolate on top. Microwave on high in 10 second increments, stirring after each until completely smooth. Set aside.
4. Whisk the flour, confectioners' sugar, and salt together in a small bowl. Whisk the eggs and egg yolks together until combined in another small bowl. Pour the flour mixture and eggs into the bowl of chocolate. Slowly stir everything together using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. If there are any lumps, gently use your whisk to rid them. The batter?will be slightly thick.
5. Spoon chocolate batter evenly into each prepared ramekin or muffin cup.
6. Place ramekins onto a baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes until the sides appear solid and firm-- the tops will still look soft.
7. Allow to cool for 1 minute, then cover each with an inverted plate and turn over. Use an oven mitt because those ramekins are hot! The cakes should release easily from the ramekin.
8. Add toppings. Serve immediately.
- After 10-14 minutes in an oven this hot, the eggs should be cooked to 160?F which is considered safe to eat. If you're concerned, you can take the temperature to be sure!
- You can prepare the batter through step 4. Cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Allow to come to room temperature before continuing with step 5. You can freeze the baked lava cakes for up to 3 months. Allow them to cool completely before freezing. Re-heat in the microwave.
Inspired by: Sally's Baking Addiction