Posted in /Cooking/Side_Dishes on Sunday, December 16, 2018
Yield: 5 portions
3 cups elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 pinches ground black pepper
2 cups milk (almond or soy work as well)
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (you may add more if desired)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook elbow macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, 8 minutes. Drain.
- In a small pot, melt butter over medium heat; stir in flour until smooth. This is called a roux and is the base for most sauces!
- Slowly drizzle milk into roux while continuously whisking until mixture is smooth and bubbling, about 5 minutes.
- Add grated cheese to milk mixture and stir until cheese is melted, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Once your cheese has melted add salt & pepper. Sample the sauce then add cayenne, extra cheddar and/or parmesan to adjust the flavour how you would like it.
- Fold macaroni into cheese sauce until coated.
- Enjoy in a bowl or a plate before the end of the period.