Posted in /Cooking/Desserts/Cake on Thursday, December 20, 2018
112 grams powdered sugar
56 grams flour
250 ml egg whites (from about 8 large eggs)
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
100 grams granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon icing sugar
3 tablespoons strawberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or lightly grease with butter.
2. Sift together the powdered sugar and flour 3 times. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt on medium high speed until foamy.
4. Increase the speed to high and slowly add the granulated sugar 1 tablespoon at a time with the mixer running. Beat until glossy and soft peaks form. Stir in the vanilla. This is called a meringue.
5. In 3 additions, sift the dry ingredients over the meringue and gently fold in after each addition. Do not overmix or meringue will deflate.
6. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan, filling the cups all the way to the top.
7. Bake until golden and spring back when touched, about 18 minutes. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR until the timer rings - cupcakes will deflate!
8. Let cupcakes cool completely before putting whipped cream on top.
9. Combine the whipping cream and sugar in a mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment.
10. Whisk until the cream holds a stiff peak; you should be able to lift the beater out of the bowl and see the cream hold its shape.
11. Add the strawberry jam, and whisk just until the jam is completely mixed in.
12. Fill a piping bag with whipped strawberry cream and pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
Inspired by: Sally's Baking Addiction