Posted in /Cooking/Breakfast on Sunday, July 14, 2019
This is a great brunch idea or easy pack-able lunch. I always make more than we need so we can freeze them for a quick snack when needed. If you want to make them in a hurry you can buy the prepackaged tartshells...No judgment here I do it too! The filling options are endless so try a few different kinds and find your favourite.
1 cup cream cheese
1 cup butter
1 tsp salt
2 cup flour
For the filling
1/2 cup shredded chees
1/2 cup milk or cream (but cream is better)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Pinch ground black pepper
Cheese sprinkled on top as needed
Fun optional ingredients (they must be minced to fit in the mini cups):
* Caramelized onions
* Red sweet pepper
Pie Dough Directions
1. Grease a muffin pan. Set aside.
2. Mix together the cream cheese, butter, and salt until smooth.
3. Add the flour and mix gently until the dough is cohesive.
4. Shape the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic, and freeze for at least 15 minutes. This prevents the stickiness that sometimes happens with pastry.
5. Unroll pie crusts on lightly floured surface and cut out as many large circles as possible. The best cutter for this is a bowl.
6. Put the dough circles in the prepared muffin pan. Press them into the bottom and on the sides. Prick the bottoms with a fork. Then dock them with tin foil and beans or rice.
7. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until golden around the edges.
Filling and Baking Directions
8. Meanwhile prepare the fillings
9. Divide fillings evenly into the tartshells.
10. Whisk eggs, milk, mustard, salt, and black pepper together in a bowl. Ladle (or better yet pour from a liquid measuring cup) egg mixture into each tart shell about 2/3 full. Top each crust with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
11. Bake in the preheated oven until egg is set in the middle of each tart and shells are browned, 15 to 20 minutes.