Posted in /Cooking/Snacks on Thursday, August 15, 2019
I had these granola bars from a hiking partner named Ruth. They are a great hiking treat packed with nutty protein and that hit of sugar you (I) sometimes crave on a hike and easy to make.
Yield: 12-14 bars
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup peanut butter
3/4 Tablespoon vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
3 cups oats (I use large flake oats)
1/2 cup toasted coconut
1 cup fillings (sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, slivered almonds)
1 cup chocolate chip
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line 9×13 pan with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan combine butter, peanut butter, vanilla, brown sugar and corn syrup and bring to the low boil.
- In a large bowl mix oats, coconut and your chosen fillings.
- Pour hot peanut butter mixture into the oats and stir well to combine.
- Spread 1/2 the mixture into the prepared pan and sprinkle with 3/4 cup of chocolate chips.
- Press the remaining granola bar mixture into the pan and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 25 -30 minutes or until golden along the edges, then allow to cool for approximately 1 hour.
- Lift the parchment and granola bar out of the pan and place on a cutting board. Cut into bars and wrap. These will remain slightly chewy which makes them fantastic!